1.1K views

I paid in full for a sofa and loveseat at American Freight in February 2009. I was advised that the set would be stored for me until I needed it. When I went to pick up the sofa set in July I was advised it was not there. I called many times expressing my frustration and asked for a refund but was never told why I could not get one. Each time I called I was told that someone would look in to it and try to get my couches sooner than the month they said it would take to get them.

The gentleman that, I assume, is the store manager, actually used two different names when I called so that I would think I was talking to someone different when I called. He used the name Thad when I called and asked for the manager, and when he called me for any reason he would use the name Elvis. That is extremely unprofessional.

It wasn't until about 3 weeks after this all occurred (and after reading pages and pages of complaints on the Internet), that I went in to the store and demanded a refund since I had not received my sofas that I had paid for in February. I actually had to make a scene and get other customers' attention before they would even begin to discuss providing a refund to me. But, they finally did, and since I paid with a check they issued a refund that would come in 4-6 weeks.

When Thad Elvis called me to advise me that the check was in, I went to the store to pick it up. In line in front of me was another customer that had printed out the stack of complaints he found on the Internet and was having the same issue that I had with them.

So, I have received my refund, but I am very upset that a company that frequently misleads customers can stay in business in our area. I hate the fact that there are so many people getting taken advantage of by American Freight.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Freight Furniture Furniture Set.

Comments

Steve Belford (owner of company) also was owner of the now defunct Nationwide Warehouse. Same problems existed.

The corporate location is in Lezington, Ohio.

Does anyone else recognise his voice in T.V. ads?

Lexington, Kentucky, United States #851387

I too have had a very bad business dealing with Steve Belford outside of A.F.

Most def a snake and a joke!!!

Steve Belford is a snake preying on those around him. I know this for a fact that his dealing with a friend of mine who worked for him.

This person worked extremely hard for this man only to be repeatedly stabbed in the back. He owes this person 5000 dollars for work that they did for him and he did NOT pay them for two yearsHe even stated that they were a hard worker who takes pride in what they do and they proved it over and over the entire time they worked for him.

to Anonymous #1078772

You are Lying, slander and harassment is illegal.

All I can say is I believe in Kharma.

The customer is always right. When consumers spend their money in your establishment they should be treated with the utmost respect. All companies need a customer base, American Freight is no different. Any time an owner of a company feel as though they need to validate a situation online to unknown people that is a HUGE red flag. All respectable business owners do not have to persuade anyone of anything. When you are wrong, you are wrong! If you do not want potential problems shop at the large over priced furniture stores.

The fact that the owner put out there Mr. Holloway is an ex-employee, who gives a s**t, at the time he was also your customer and should be treated appropriately regardless of history or opinion.

Unfortunately, this is what some companies are about. There are some companies who try to please their customers so they will have positive word of mouth and repeat customers. After all it is always about “the money”. The companies with high customer satisfaction are more expensive and are tentative to customer needs.

Consumers have to do research before making certain purchases. When you buy furniture pay up front and observe the product before you pay, this will save an enormous amount of problems. (Companies soon learn I don’t pay those games and usually after they *** me off one time they soon learn what costumer service is really about.) You should not only observe their actions but also dictate exactly how you want something done, they will not like it and you will get attitude but it’s your money.

to Realistic #1078768

he (Joe Holloway) is not unknown he was a disgruntled former employee who got caught trying to fake an injury. Frauds that people like this do cause us all to pay higher prices.

When the animal shelter in Ohio flooded and several dogs drowned Mr B donated a brand new animal shelter to the community.

What has Mr Holloway done for his community?

Monument, Colorado, United States #245341

Poor Steven Belford the slime ball that he is.Since he found out that he didn't have grounds for legal action against me he has to stupe to more lies about me in order to try and cover his own tracks and is trying to protect his name and that of his company American Freight.

Belford was unable to tell the truth in this post of our conversation in which he called me and made threats towards me legally and what appeared to be personally.

Mr.Belford appears to be a confused human being.

He dosen't like the truth coming out about him or his company American Freight which is not a surprise..He likes to be in control of people but dosen't like it when he is backed into a cornor, which most slime balls don't.

Steven Joel Belford is another work of art that runs a large percentage of corporate america at this time.

When you see a Owner like Steven Belford post a comment like he has it should provide great insight about the mentality of the individual the public is dealing with directly or indirectly.

Consumers should think twice and remember the phrase BUYER BEWARE when dealing with American Freight and Steven Belford.

Joe Holloway is a Liar. While it is true I called and politely asked him to remove the lies he posted.

He then proceded to threaten me with with comments about being concerned about my health. He said in a way that was suppose to intimidate me. Simply put Joe Holloway is a liar and doesnt tell you he is a disgruntled ex employee with no sense of pride. I am not a slimeball and we are happy to help any customers with any problems they may have 1-866-884-6178

ask for Susan.

American Freight is very active with "Homes for Heroes" "Save the Children" "Doctors without Borders" "Hole in the Wall camps".

How much charitable work have you done Joe Holloway? If you put the energy that you put into blogs into charitable work you too could make a difference.

Monument, Colorado, United States #241088

For everyone that is reading the complaints about American Freight you can also go to the Ripoff Report and find more compaints about this company.

Monument, Colorado, United States #241076

I recieved a phone call on 6/26/2011 at 6:21 pm from Mr.Stephen Joel Belford owner and president of American Freight.First Mr.Belford called me on his cell phone and it came thru as a private number.This was my first indicator that I was being called by a slime ball.Second he made a threat that he was going to sue me for harassment pertaining to several postings on the internet about him and his company American Freight.Third he then hung up leaving no return phone number.Another sign of a slime ball.

I returned his phone call today and contacted his office as any professional would and left my number for him to call me back.Once again he called back on a private cell phone number just like the slime ball he is. Mr.Belford is the type of individual that says everything and dosen't allow the individual at the other end of the line to say much of anything then he hangs up.From everything that I know about individuals of his mind set he suffers from wanting to be in complete control of people and having a self esteem problem.I've found this person to be rude and arrogant both of the times I have the unpleasurable experience of talking with him on the phone.

Mr.Belford assumes alot with out facts or evidence and he has just proven it by his assumption and threats to me personally because he thinks I'm the one that has posted statements about him and American Freight.

It's obvious Mr.Belford dosen't know how to do anything but threaten people when he dosen't like what they say about him. He is quick when it comes to spouting words out of his mouth but the mind dosen't seem to operate very well with his mouth otherwise he wouldn't hang the phone up on people he has called so quickly.Mr. Belford appears to be the type of individual that's assumes he can intimidate and steam roll right over people when he feels his backed into a cornor. Like a scared dog he barks loud but dosen't have the A_ _ to back it up and he knows this,that's why he barks so loud. I really feel sorry for this misguided individual and anyone that works for him let alone the public.

My personal opinion is the public and potential employee's should think twice before spending your money with this company or working for this company.

If this progresses any further than Mr.Belfords bark I will publish further what he is up to. Right now there is no telling how far Mr.Belford might take this because he sounded very mad and frustrated on the phone and *** people do *** things against people now days. This guy could be a threat to my life but only time will tell.

Monument, Colorado, United States #241074

Your impression of American Freight is correct. They sell junk furniture and lie about ever aspect of the sale. I witnessed the Orlando Florida location at 2193 Viscount Row sales people take deposit money from a customer and laugh after the customer left about the furniture not being avaliable any longer.

Just for everyone's information Steven Belford is the President of this company and lives at 4635 Beecher Ct New Albany Ohio 43054.His full name is Steven Joel Belford. The home is located in the NEw Albany Country Culb section 1 lot 21 of the Franklin County Ohio records.The corporate phone number is 740-363-2222 but you will never be able to talk to the wessel.

This is one of the worst companies to buy from or work for.Consumer Beware and spend your money some where else.They will lie to you both on the phone and in your face to make the next sale

Standard policy of American Freifgt is to lie,lie and lie some more.

Joe Frost Cell ph number is 419-544-9130

VP MIke Stetzer Cell ph number is 419-544-9130

Kevin Okeef Orlando cell ph number is 419-544-9130.

These people are just plain bottom feeders that enjoy screwing customers and their employees. More to come in the near future.I have enough info on this company to bury them alive.CONSUMERS BEWARE AND SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE THIS COMPANY SELLS *** AND OVER PRICED *** AT THAT.

angrycustomer2010

Please listen to these reviews! I myself had a delivery scheduled for last Saturday, and the delivery never happened and no one ever called.

They then promised a delivery for Tuesday-no phone call until long after my initial query, so...no couch. Another delivery was scheduled for today-no phone call and when I called to confirm the delivery they told me it would definitely be delivered today. Four hours later-no phone call, no couch. Throughout my experience with this company, I have received terrible customer service--been left on hold for over 20 minutes each time I called and ignored when trying to resolve the issue of their failing to deliver my purchase when promised.

There are dozens of complaints on other websites that detail increasingly nightmarish experiences dealing with this company, with broken promises and unprofessional behavior being an all too common theme.

I am only a week into it, and am hoping for a good resolution, but looking at the reviews here and in other places, getting furniture that works from American Freight is something akin to playing the lottery! Please do yourself a favor, and stay away from American Freight!

I too made a purchases of $1100 at the american freight in Feb. 2010 and i'm still trying to get the items.

I have also talked to Thad with no resolution to my problems. I am not dealing with a guy named Lonnie and at first he seemed like he wanted to help but now I can't even get a hold of the guy!!!

I'm actually on the phone now to find out what I have to do to take them to court to get a FULL REFUND!!!! :(

Oh ..........Man I paid for the couch that i was gonna get but instead the salesman told me that i was buying the floor model and the fact that i already paid the money he told me that for the floor model i will not get the money back or exchange . I tried to call but he just hung up on in man i was pissed. DO NOT BUY ANY FURNITURE FROM THE AMERICAN FREIGHT I AM SERIOUS

Erode, Tamil Nadu, India #94060

I can not believe anyone would buy from this outfit. This i swhat happens when you buy on price only, ignoring service or quality of the product.

This company as come and gone under several different names Nationwide Warehouse, Cheap Beds and Furniture.

They are in the business of selling junk to unknowing customers pocketing the profits and filing bankruptcy only to reappear under another name. Stay away stay far away.

I too have spoke with Elvis. I purchased a sofa and loveseat on Aug 22, 2009. It was delivered on Aug 23, 2009 and later that evening I discovered that the back wood support was broken. I promptly called the store on Aug 24th and spoke to Jerry who assured me that there was none in stock but some were on the truck and should arrive at the store in a few weeks. He had my cell number and said her would call to arrange an exchange.

On Sept 15, 2009 my mother was in the area and stopped by the store to check on my sofa. She had the pleasure of speaking with Elvis. She said he was very rude and stated he knew nothing about the sofa and would not have appoved this because I bought the floor model and they gave me $200 off.

I was not informed that I would be purchasing the floor model, and even if I did, I would not have purchased a sofa that was broke.

Elvis stated he would look into the problem and call me back that day. Well, today is Sept 16th and no phone call yesterday. So at 12:05 I called and spoke to Elvis and he said that he has not had time to speak to his boss and would call me back today. Yay right!

We will see if this gets resolved today. From what I have read, I doubt it. If is does not and I am getting the local media in on this.