My wife and I purchased about $1400 in furniture in late February. We were approved for financing through American First Financing.

We were told that we have 101 days of no interest and finance charges after that. No explanation of what that was at the time of purchase and only received an in store receipt of purchase. The only thing we received from American First Finance on the day we went into the store to purchase the furniture was a generic congratulations approval email with how much was approved in my wife's email. The next email was a receipt of our first automatic payment.

July 3rd my wife called to dispute a double billing and having two payments taken out when my wife called to change the date for automatic payments to be taken out on the first due to being paid on that day. I had asked my wife to find out what the pay off amount was due to planning on paying it off in full and she was told that she owed almost $4000 and we were in a "lease to own" contract for the thru February of 2020. They then sent us the full contract that they failed to send on the day that we purchased the furniture that explains the terms of conditions with an option to return the furniture after a minimum of two months. The insisted that they sent us the contract on the day we purchased, however they did not and it was just the congratulations approval email.

The store manager says it isn't their problem after we purchased the furniture and went with their contracted financial services they chose to do business with. We are now forced to either maintain the contract and pay the higher amount at 75% financing or return the furniture after paying more than the furniture was worth or sold for. We complained to the Indiana State Attorney General's office and the company wrote them back, sending them a copy of the contract, stating that we were given this and understood what we were getting into.

I assume this isn't the first time they have done this and make their money on the returns to be resold to someone else being the reason why they are so shady about the financing up front. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICAN FREIGHT OR AMERICAN FINANCE.

Review about: American Freight Furniture Furniture Set.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Comments

You shouldn't take on expensive obligations for common items. Did you really NEED $1400 worth of brand new furniture ?

If so, why not save up the money and pay cash ? Cash is king ; none of what you described would have happened except that you tried to obtain something you apparently could not afford and then blame the fallout on someone else ...